Sunday, April 26, 2009

Little boy is long gone.....



This week I'm dedicated my blog to my handsome and wonderful son and his life thus far.....

14 years ago I gave birth to my first child. I was living in a basement apartment at the time with my (x) husband, too young to be planning for babies, and yet that was what I was doing. We had a small little place, quaint and pretty, 2 bedrooms and decorated the nursery as best as I could with the budget we had. I was working at (cover my eyes in shame...) Wendy's at the time and was overdue by over a week. I knew he was a boy, we found that out long before via ultrasound.

I was young, and vulnerable, and very niave. I was not aware of infertility or all that can plague a pregnancy and really didn't worry much during it about my sweet little baby. I took care of myself, but maybe not as well as what I would now knowing all that I do...ie: Folic Acid, etc.

One night I went to bed, my waterbed, bassinet ready to go....just another night really, when I woke up feeling as if I pee'd myself. I ran to the bathroom in shame and on the toilet and waited and wondered all the while severe cramps were taking over my body non stop. I called labor and delivery, because there was no break they didn't think it was labor, afterall contractions come and go, every 10 mins, every 5 mins, every 3 mins...time to go to the hosptial. Not for me, just non stop, neverending pain. I decided that if I wasn't in labor something was wrong and we're going to the hospital. I called my mom and let her know, and told my xhubby that as soon as I got off the toilet I was going straight to the car, he better be ready!

This all happened so fast, too fast. I got in the car and off we went and were at the hospital not more than 35mins from jumping out of bed with the first pains. I could barely sit in the car, I could barely walk in the hosptial and I told them I believed I was in labor and please help me fast! My mom and best friend were on their way.

Then poof....A was born. I'm not kidding, within 10 mins of getting to the hospital, they got me on the bed, stripped my clothes off, realized I was already 8 cm, and within minutes out my baby boy comes. My mom figured I would be awhile...afterall she was almost 2 days in labor with me and it was my firstborn. She stopped for coffee on the way, it was early in the morning (okay middle of the night really) so I don't blame her, and they did go through the drive thru.....they missed it. When they arrived, not more than 10mins after me, I was holding a baby in my arms! My mom was totally shocked to say the least.


A little boy, 6'lbs, 8oz, 20" long, 2:21am.



From laying in bed to holding a baby it was 45 mins. 45 mins...can you imagine! I can't even watch a full show in 45 mins, I can't clean my house in 45 mins, I can't get through my email in 45 mins, but I can deliver a baby!




6 thoughts that made me smile:

Gift of Surrogacy said...

Aww Happy 14th B-day to you son... how time flies...

Wewurtskihit said...

hAPPY b-dAY, A! Got yourself a great mom there ;-)

Cyn said...

What a super cute little guy-all grown up now!
And NO, I can't imagine!

Sarah Andrews said...

14! He is growing up Mama! I love his baby pics - it must be so hard to believe how quickly time has flown. 45 mins - such an incredibly short labor! Too bad little B broke your record!

Anonymous said...

Leave it to Mom to be late cause she wanted to stop for coffee! HAHA I never heard this story but it made me giggle a litlle( mostly the Mom part cause it really is so like her)

MyLifeMyWorld said...

Yeah, leave it to mom to be late...that is so much her personality and was so funny.....guess that's what you get when one assumes....

Thanks everyone, I shared with him the b.day wishes.