Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Day...

Is just a commercial holiday where men are forced to go out and buy their significant other some overpriced bouquet of flowers and a shit load of chocolate most of us women don't really need. Um, yeah, can you tell I really don't get the Valentines Day thing? Christmas, I'm in, but Valentines?

Maybe it's because I'm not really a "romantic", sure I have my moments, but really that depends on the mood and time of month and well, how tired I am, but really I"m not a mushy lovely dovey kind of person, have never been. (With my kids it's very different though).

I just don't get the whole Valentines Day thing....I mean why should there be one day of the year put aside where spouses or significant others go out of their way to show how much they love the other? Shouldn't that be a daily occurance? Why does it take a marked holiday on the calendar for one to buy the other flowers, jewelery, or go out on a date? Shouldn't that come from ones heart on the desire to do so rather than because it's an obligation due to the date on the calendar?

To me Valentines Day is just an excuse for flower, chocolate and jewelery stores to rack up their prices, and restaurants to make their dig in your wallet, in an attempt to put aside one day of "love". Love is not one day of the year, but rather should be every day and should be shown regularly.

We in our marriage/house do not really celebrate Valentines, can you tell? Sure hubby got me a box of chocolates and a dollar store card, and I got him a dollar store card too, but that's the extent of it, no overpriced dinner out...though I did consider getting McDonalds tonight.

For us the more important dates are the ones WE set, like our anniversary....will be 9 years this coming August and that's a special day and one where we celebrate our marriage and love and committment for each other. Other than that, each day is a celebration, and date night, flowers and gifts is not just for once a year but when we have the opportunity and desire to give.

I respect that many people DO celebrate Valentines, so I do want to wish you all a Happy Valentines, I do hope that it was everything you wanted it to be. What's more, HAPPY FAMILY DAY!!!!, I just love this new holiday and wish that everyone takes that day and spends it with their loved ones and enjoys this new holiday together, as a family.

5 thoughts that made me smile:

Cyn said...

Valentine's has been about the family since they came along. We did splurge on our favorite pizza today and everyone got to pick their favorite kind.
My favorite is the day after Valentine's clearance chocolate! Guess where I'll be tomorrow!

Wewurtskihit said...

PS: right there with CYN - we LOVE Walmart on Feb 15!!!

Wewurtskihit said...

I hear you! I HATE having to go out and be FORCED to get something because some dude in England remembered an ancient tradition in Rome and some lady in the US decided to make lots of money with Valentine's cards. SIGH!! LOL

I do have to say though that in our house we do not celebrate Valentine's Day either. We exchange cards and chocolate but that;s about it. After all that lovey dovey we are right back to arguing and cleaning...LOLOLOL

happy Valentine's day!! *wink*

S said...

mmmmmmmm Chocolate! Whatever the excuse - count me in. I do have to say that I enjoyed Valentine's Day this year. A very special little baby found the time to go out and buy me some chocolates and a card. It was my first Mommy card. Awwwwwwww.

Herbalife Las Vegas said...

Great before and after pics!!