Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Saturday Night drinking story


So you heard in "Not Me Monday" that I had a little "episode" on Saturday night...or rather I didn't have one....well there IS a story behind it and I thought for fun why not share?


I am not a drinker, this is not a "not me" post, I'm actually serious here. My preference of drink for a fun night out or a party is........drumroll please...........Diet Coke. Yup, you heard right, that's my treat at a party, I'd choose that over a glass of wine 95% of the time. And over beer anyday...beer is disgusting as far as I'm concerned.


There are a couple of reasons behind it, I don't like the taste most days, and when I do it's usually some fruity drink that is more like juice than alcohol, including wine, I don't like feeling "out of control" or "not 100% alert and there", I dont' have many opportunities to "let loose" since I never drink more than a glass of wine in front of my kids, there are people in my family that drink way too much and it just turns me off of drinking altogether, especially considering I'm almost always sober and they are just abnoxious when drinking.


When I think back it's been about 3 years since I had more than 1 or 2 glasses of wine, and about a year and a half since I even had 1 glass. I am usually the DD, even at my sister's 19th, I DD'd for her.


Last week, I wanted to go dancing, and wanted to "let loose". Could be because I was free and able to do what I wanted without anyone depending on me, (babies included), could be because I was enjoying my body again and ability to move and feeling all hot and spicy, could be because I was just tired of another Saturday night at home. The thing is, I was in the mood to just let go, get silly and stupid and act like a teenager again despite the fact that I'm 31 and well dancing at a club is the best way I knew how and of course....I dance SOOO much better when I've had a few.


Noone wanted to go, my one friend had no money, my sister doesn't like being around drunk people, much like me, so dance clubs are not her thing, someone had to be with the kids so hubby was couldn't, and I didn't invite or think of anyone else who would want to go so last minute. So dance club idea out the door, oh well, I'm sure I would have been able to find a great movie on.


Saturday was our open house (did I mention the house is up for sale), and we went to my mom's for supper, when I got a text from the friend I invited out who had no money. She was having some people over and wanted to know if I wanted to come over and "party" there. I was feeling pretty tired and I'm not one for sitting around someone's house and drinking, and about to say no when I decided what the hell, I needed to get out and up my social. Off I go, hubby drops me off and I bring a bottle of some very fruity wine and a Diet Coke, just in case I wasn't in the mood anymore for the fruity wine....can you tell I'm picky? Mood and atmosphere is crucial.


They've already started so I had some catching up to do, so I agreed to do a tequila shot. I use to be a pro at tequila back in the day, worm and all...so I wasn't worried about taste or affect, and I did have a really good time. I had a couple of glasses of wine and 2 tequila shots in the 4 hour span I was there. So not a huge amount, but I have to say I was feeling pretty "loose" and happy. I'm a happy drinker, I giggle and laugh and am very social with awesome dance skills....or at least 'I' think so.


Then at about 11:30pm one of the people there car' was being hooked up to a tow truck about to be towed. Everyone gathered outside and started screaming at the person who called (landlord) and the tow truck driver, it was all a big kerfunkel. I of course was the one who was trying to calm the guys down as fighting is just stupid, and calm the girls down too. Maybe it's my age, but I just don't see the necessity of all the drama, seems you often get more bees with honey than the anger so many people easily let out, especially when alcohol is in the mix.


After about 15 mins, I got everyone back inside and turns out the tow driver let the car down, it was the fault of the landlord as much as the driver of the car so he let it go...that's another long story I won't bother getting into.


Everyone went back to partying, except me. See, I have always been a sensitive drinker, maybe another reason why I don't drink often. If there is ANY negative drama while I'm drinking, it ruins it for me, it makes the alcohol hit me the wrong way and I get sick. There are only a few people I will drink with because of this. By midnight like I shared yesterday I was hugging my friends toilet and sick as a dog, only to go straight from the bathroom there into a taxi and visit my own toilet at home. By 1am I was passed out in bed.


Now if I had of stuck with my Diet Coke like I usually do, I could have handled any sort of drama that came my way at any time, but I didn't, and even the little bit of alcohol I did have, hit me very hard. So it's true, I was reminded of why Diet Coke is my treat of choice and why it's been 3 years since I "let loose". Will I do it again? Maybe....in another 3 years or so, afterall prior to 11:30, I did have tons of fun, and boy can I dance...lol.

3 thoughts that made me smile:

Cyn said...

Hold out for a big night out-sounds like the dancing is the part you really wanted anyhow! And if hubby is your dance partner of choice-make it happen and plan a big night!(My dh would never be caught dead out dancing so I would plan to go out with my fav gal pals)

Just Me said...

See you June 20-29 for Pride week..:)

Glad you had a great night..

Melissa said...

This was a great story, thanks for sharing! Every now and than you need to let loose and a good puke always puts things into perspective. Now I really want to see you dance!