Tuesday, March 31, 2009

House Selling?

A question came up and I realized that I never elaborated on what happened with the house, I'm not sure I said anything at all actually....sorry. My florida trip was so long I didn't even think to add that in.

Soooo, it fell through. Sucks. It was sold conditionally, and one of the conditions was a building inspection. On the Thursday we were gone, they came in with some inspector and did their thing. Then I hear back, and their requests were ridicilous and we let the deal fall through.

What is a building inspection for?? It's meant to find hidden problems with the house that buyers never saw or wouldn't know to look for. It's not meant to get upgrades with or add things into a house....

Here is what their requests were:
1. Replace all the closet doors.....ummm the doors weren't there in the first place. You knew that when you put in the offer, one would have expected that that was considered when you agreed to a price $10,000 lower than the asking price...
(I hate closet doors by the way, so I deliberately took them all off and stage the closet as part of the room with a open curtain type look...this was done years ago, people see that as they pass through).

2. Have a weatherproofing guy come in and check out the cracks in the foundation dig down 6 feet or whatever and repair cracks. There is no leaks...let me make that clear, NO LEAKS. The basement walls are dry, there is no leaks. These are cracks that have been there since well before we even moved in 6 years ago, someone had a problem at one point, and had them fixed. YES, they were fixed...there is a standard patch on it. All houses have cracks in their foundation, it's how big and how deep they are....ummmm, these don't leak, their not big, they are not a problem, but you want us to spend all that money to have someone come in and tell us it's okay? Um, NOT. Now if you upped your price back to asking price, I would consider it.

3. Electrical box is not big enough for "their" needs, they want us to put in a bigger one, though the house currently doesn't need it. Yeah whatever, that's not a house defect is it? They wanted someone to come in an asess the electrical panel and make sure it's in good working order...(that is because building inspectors do not guarentee electrical things so they want US to pay for their inspections now), NOT. It is in good working order, we do not have any problems nor ever had. And upgrade it, yeah right honey, why should I spend my money on upgrading for your needs? It's safe, it's in good condition, there is no hidden repair, so it's part of the package YOU offered.

Next you'll come to me and ask me to upgrade all the appliances to meet your needs too eh...NOT!

There was one more really dumb thing too, but it doesn't matter. Our real estate agent was pissed, as were we. They completely abused the condition of a building inspection and I knew I should have adjusted how that condition was worded.

It was worded basically that they were satisfied by the building inspection report....meaning a loose doorknob may not be satisifactory and they could walk over that.

I should have had it changed to something like: if any one definancy cost more than $1,000, sellers have the choice to lower the price, or repair it, and/or buyers have the option to walk sort of thing. That way they can't ask for upgrades (needs to be a definancy), and it has a dollar amount that they can't nic pick.

Basically they were looking for an excuse to get out, and well, we had no choice but to let them out because the condition was so loosely written. Though (sneer) I did take over a week to sign the mutual release form so they could put offers on other houses too.

Idiots! So the house is still on the damn market, we've had about 50 showings and it sucks. Some days it's 3 per day, other times it's one a day, I don't even know what it's like to relax in my own house anymore. It really sucks.

As to those buyers, the evil side of me hopes they buy a house that has a hidden problem they don't see and they get a HUGE FLOOD! But that wouldn't be very nice of me to really want that now would it.

4 thoughts that made me smile:

Cyn said...

Thanks for the update!
I took all of our closet doors off too. In the beginning it was just the kids' doors so that they could get into the 'whole' closet and not just half of it.
I don't even have a curtain up. They have beads that hang down and mine is totally open and been transformed into a floor to ceiling book case.

Hope it sells soon!

Wewurtskihit said...

hmmm...remind me never to pee you off...LOL

I hope it sells soon! It has to be tough selling in todays economy so I totally understand your frustration!!!

If you move the house to Vancouver, put it in a REALLY nice neighborhood with 10 acres AND knock off $10.000 - we'll buy it (upon inspection of course!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL)

SharingaDream said...

W...you crack me up! Though Vancouver would be nice, I probably wouldn't sell then..lol.

Just Me said...

Sorry everything fell through..hoping you are able to start packing soon.