Monday, May 11, 2009

A recap of yesterday...

Thanks for the wishes yesterday I have to say it was an interesting day...some ups and downs-here's the low down.

In the morning I woke up to bacon and eggs...yes I mean literally woke up to this food in my face. It was sweet but seriously...hubby could have given me a few minutes to open my eyes. By the time I ate it is was cold...I'm okay about it though, I'm kind of use to cold food after 14 years of being a mom. Cold it not, it was yummy!

The kids made me crafts and cards. We have never agreed or believed in the commerical makeup that has become the "new" Mothers Day, but rather these things should be made by the little hands themselves. It's always been that way. Even my teenage son went out to the backyard and picked me some Forget-me-Nots from the grass. (Yes they are growing in the grass not the garden!)

We played some Rockband, they presented my "big" gift, it was a huge cookie about an inch thick and well the size of a PLATE! Decorated with icing saying 'Mom'. Very sweet...shoot shoulda took a picture.

So now for the interesting part....so we have been having problems with the van, but thought it was somewhat fixed. With my kids, the car is not a comfortable place, so we took the van Geocaching up along the Bruce Trail near Milton. It's a part of the Niagara Escarpment.

Well we get there, and the van starts a smoking. Pop the hood....one of the rad hoses is split almost right in half. Yup, here we go again...so what do we do? How do we get it home, we're at least a 30min drive from home??!!?? Another towing fee?



"Ah forget it" I said, I was there to enjoy the day and well lets go hiking and enjoy ourselves, we'll figure out the van problems when we have to go home. And so that's what we did! Crazy I know, but I wanted to have a stress free afternoon with my children and nothing not even problems with the car was going to steal that from me!

So off we went, treking the beautiful trails...I got some pics to share just before my battery died. I should have prepared better...shoot! (Don't mind our clothes, we are HIKING ya know...)
We found another travel bug, loving it...and put the travel bug we had into one of the caches. The rule of thumb is you take something, you put something in, so the kids did their take/put back of some junk and off we went to the second one. All in all it was a nice hike and the weather wasn't horrible...never warm enough for me, but not horrible.

Get back to the van and long story short after some contiplation we decided to risk it and drive it to Miltons Canadian Tire. Man did we ever get lucky. Just as we pullled into the parking lot, the van pretty much seized. It was no longer wanting to go and getting quite hot and angry with us. But...We did make it!

It was really funny when I went in and told them what happened, 5 BIG and I mean BIG guys came out expecting to have to push the van into the mechanical bay....they all sighed a relief when it started though and they actually drove it in. They changed the hose but still there seems to be a significant problem with the cooling system/sensor system and we will be taking it in tommorrow to get a better look. It worked to get us home at least, and to get Ian to work today to the tune of another $150...not bad, only 1/4 of what a car payment worked. That's how I look at it now, between fixing or buying a new van, how much can we get out of it, is the cost of repair lower than the payment if we got a new one....thus far total repairs in the last 2 weeks is about $500....one months car payment. We get a month more, we've won. Our goal is 6months to a year...I just want to get our mortgage flipped first, should be another month before that happens.

Anyway, get home, grab some McNasty's (steak was the orignial plan but we got home too late), and played some more RockBand. I'm getting addicted to it really and REALLY love having something to do with my son and connecting with him. Then some CSI on Wii, and by midnight I was tired and off to bed.

It was a good day really....some bumps, but not complaining. We were all together and that was what was most important to me. Even if some of the time was spent at a garage....

Check out more pics of our GeoCaching adventure

The view, and me and Anthony looking for the cache....well I don't really look, I just walk around and pretend I'm looking...digging in the trees/bushes/rocks, um not for me....I do have my limits ya know.



This is where it's hiding...can you see it? Neither could I, Ian though with his trained eye could tell where it was right away...we finally had him play the hot cold game with us so we could find it. Here's the hint they gave ("You have to roll some rocks"). Any guess where it is??

4 thoughts that made me smile:

Gift of Surrogacy said...

Sweet pictures and I am jealous of the green grass...

See ya in a week hopefully

Happy late Mama's day

Cyn said...

It looks beautiful, but cold!

So glad you had a great day and made the best of the van troubles.

Sarah Andrews said...

Man oh man - that van is nothing but TROUBLE! GEESH! You did better than I would have done. I would have focused on the bad - I really admire how you are always able to find the bright side of things. I love the pic of T!

FET Accompli said...

I just saw you have already been tagged - but I listed you before I saw your Crazy 8's. So no need to do anything I guess :-)