Monday, October 19, 2009

Gotta get out of here

Run away, hide, no seek, whatever you might call it I had to do it. Last minute decision, which is how my life often times goes, I booked a hotel, played hookie from work, took the hubby and kids and just ran. Well, drove.

Off to Parry Sound for the weekend, no computers, no technology, very little contact with the home world, and we had a great weekend.

I have to say that life has been so busy, between house, work, errands, people, someone wanting something, something always having to be done, I was about to loose it. I know my limits though, and so we ran away, 2.5 hours away.

Ian has family up in Parry Sound we hadn't see in almost 2.5 years. So we thought why not take our reprieve up there, kill 2 birds with one stone.

Our hotel was.......interesting to say the least. I have to say I really liked it, great amenities! Fab, room. Pool, hot tub, sauna, fitness room, squash courts, tennis courts, playground, gazebo, hiking trails, lounge (ie. small bar with pool tables), and restaurant all there. PERFECT!

The kids loved the pool, we swam a lot. And Anthony was having some really good workouts in the fitness room too. On Sat night Anthony stayed in the room with the little ones once they were asleep and Ian and I snuck off to the lounge for a game (or two) of pool with his sister and husband who met us there. It was nice, Ian and I rarely go "out" together so it was nice to be able to go out and yet still be 'there' at the hotel.

For dinner on Sat, Ians sister B had us all over. It was really nice, a great visit and yummy roast dinner! It was a real treat to sit there like old times...been so long since we all just sat around her table! Thanks B!

Sunday was spent hanging around the hotel enjoying more amenities, and then a trip into town for a walk. Started off on the railroad tracks, I was so hoping a train would pass by us, no luck. Then a very very long walk of geo-caching through various parts of the town. All Ian's sisters where there, J, B and M as well as M's kids, and we had a great time...though 3 geo-caches in a day was a bit much for my old worn down body. 2.5 hours of hiking, the weather wasn't terrible though.

Afterwards we went to J's house and met up with her husband and son and had dinner there. Another real treat...with some yummy food. It definately helps to cut the cost too, as it's very expensive for us to go there. It was nice to see their son V as well, the kids all played so well together.

Sadly, we didn't get to visit much with Ian's sister M or her kids, besides the walk. I guess we were suppose to go there for Sat morning breakfast, but I didn't know of the plans, and so we sort of stood them up, unintentionally. I felt so bad when I learned of this, and we were hoping they'd be able to come by after supper on Sunday. Next time I guess.....

So that was pretty much it, or the logistics of it. What made it interesting....well...

Where we were staying, in the building we were at, a pipe burst! Yeah, you heard right, and it made for some interesting adventures. Water problems seem to follow us everywhere!!!

It wasn't in our room but a couple of rooms down. It all started Sat morning...we had no hot water. Ummm, I desperately needed a shower.......no hot water....cold shower? No way! Went to front desk, gave me another room to shower in in another building. Ooookkaaayyyy, off I go.

All day Sat, no hot water. Sat night, horray hot water! Sunday morning kids go to use the toilet, no water pressure! Umm, front desk can we get a plunger? They come in, the water pressure is too low to flush the toilets. Guess not all is fixed.

Oh dear, another pipe burst in yet another room! Hot water gone, oh wait, so is the cold. No water at all! Off I go to use another room in another building just to pee!

Sunday night we get back from town, water is working! Pressure is good, hot water, nice. But wait, water coming out of taps and toilet is like.....MUD! I mean MUD! Yuck. Front desk again, what's going on? Tell me it's normal...um, no it isn't. Bottled water please? Thank you.

Brush our teeth, off to bed, wake up, water is clear. Talked to manager and got a free night and complimentary breaky for two, woohoo! Guess they still needed to flush the line after all the plumbing problems, hence the water color.

Anyway, it made for some excitement, but still better than camping in a tent! (and using an outhouse) All in all, a fantastic time!

However, in my haste of fast packing and quick escaping...I fogot the camera...shite. So no pics this time. Sigh........

1 thoughts that made me smile:

Cyn said...

Sometimes you just gotta go!

It sounds as though you are so flexible and easy to please! What a fabulous trait to not let the little things ruin your attitude!!